The final service took place on Sunday October 8th 2006 and it was
one of Thanksgiving for the life of the church and its witness to the
There has been a chapel in Wheddon Cross for nearly 200 years. In 1816
the first one was fitted up from an outhouse adjoining ‘a’John
Kent’s house on the Taunton road, this is now known as Chapel
Cottage. Prior to that, services were held in his home. Then in 1839
a new chapel known as the Centenary Chapel was built on the present
site, which was replaced by another on the same site in 1893. (This
information from ‘Methodists in West Somerset’ by A.G. Pointon).
After the death of their uncle – Mr Wilfrid Norman 30 years ago,
Leslie and Barbara Norman honouring a promise made to him to keep the
chapel going as long as they could, took on the posts of Steward and
Treasurer. When Mrs Nora Ovendon died Barbara also became organist.
The congregation has waxed and waned over the years and earlier this
year after an appeal for support/help which didn’t materialise,
Leslie and Barbara felt they could no longer continue holding their
positions. Reluctantly the decision was made to for the chapel to close.
Rev. Linda Barriball and Rev Gareth Edwards led the service which was
supported by so many from the West Somerset Circuit and further a field
and St John’s Church.
It was a sad but joyful occasion too as we gave thanks for all those
who had faithfully attended and served in the chapels over the past
The collection amounted to £119.20 and was given to the Methodist
Relief and Development Fund